Monday, October 4, 2010

Conference "Let Down", PMS, and Apple Pie.

First: Conference Let Down.

Mondays are hard days. But the Monday after Conference? Blah!

While I feel "renewed" and "uplifted" from all the wonderful messages, I also feel sad that it is already over.

I mean, really, who wants to get back to real life after that? Can't it just last a little longer? Please?


Second: PMS

I have it.

I hate it.

To my family: My deepest apologies. :)

Honestly, I really hate what happens to me. I have no patience and I say things that in "normal circumstances" I would never say.

To my husband: I am sorry I am grumpy. I am sorry if you look at me the wrong way and I just can't handle it. Thanks for putting up with me. :)


Third: Apple Pie

For the past 16 years (I know this because it started the year Caroline was born) I have been on a quest to find out how to make the perfect apple pie.

I mostly just tried that year and maybe the next. They looked good, but the taste just wasn't what I thought it should be. The apples seemed "tough" and not very sweet.

Then my Mom died. Then Missy got sick. Then life got in the way.

I had no desire to make pie, but I kept my eye out for a recipe that might be one to try.

I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT RECIPE!



It was featured on Good Things Utah this past Friday.


On Saturday night, I made this:

And yes, that is cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top!


On Sunday afternoon I ate this:

And yes, ice cream is required!


It was HEAVENLY!


The secret?

First, cut your apples and put them in Sprite so they don't turn brown (remember that post?).

THEN. . .


Saute them in BUTTER until they start to turn light brown. I have never heard of that before. It is GENIUS!


It really made all the difference!

It releases the natural sugars in the apples and combined with the butter - oh my, oh my, oh my.



If you want to try it, go to ABC4.com and click on Good Things Utah and then under recipes look for Chef Tom's Rich Apple Pie. There is also a link off to the right if you want to watch the segment.

Chef Tom cored, peeled and then sliced his apples and browned them. To me, it seemed like that would take too much time so I just cut them into chunks and stirred them around until they started to brown. I didn't worry about all the sides getting brown.

I have no patience when I cook. I has to be fast and easy for me.


It was so worth that little extra step.



If you try it, let me know if you like it as much as I do.




Oh, and I didn't toss the apples in lemon juice like the recipe said, I tossed them in Sprite.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kenr said...

Dear Edee, please don't worry about me. We had a wonderful weekend, full of the spirit. It is my favorite weekend, including the April general conference weekend. I love you. Kenr

Kenr said...

I forgot to mention how delicious your apple pie was! I look forward to another slice tonight after our family home evening!

The Roundy's said...

That sounds good! I didn't get to try any of the pie...I wish I had. I agree with the post-Conference blahs...I especially feel sad about all the things being said on Facebook about President Packer's talk...:(

Sweet Caroline said...

How about we go back in time a pretend it's not Monday?