After the last few years of struggling with health problems, I am GRATEFUL that my biggest complaint right now is my sore foot.
The fact that my health has improved so dramatically and that I have my energy back is nothing short of miraculous. This I know.
I will take a little pain over illness that felt like a severe case of the flu and lasted for a couple of years.
Yes. Yes I will.
So, in light of that disclaimer that I am really not complaining, I just wanted to document what is going on and why I sometimes walk like I am 150 years old. :) (In case you were wondering!)
This is what my heel looks like.
I have a bone spur.
Which in turn aggravates the plantar fasciitis ligament.
Which in turn causes ALOT of pain some days.
(Not my actual x-ray although mine looks pretty much just like this)
Anyway. . .
Yesterday, I had to take Lina to the podiatrist to see about a toe nail that has been causing her trouble. So, I figured I would see if I could ask the doctor about my heel.
I have already seen my primary care doctor and knew that it is going to take about 9 months for it to heel properly, but it has been hurting so much more so I thought, hey, why not have a foot expert look at it.
He said I was doing all the right things to help it heel.
Then he said he could give me a steroid shot to help the inflammation which would help the pain.
"Whatever you recommend." I said.
Then I asked him. . .
"The toe shot (which I had to have when I had an ingrown toe nail fixed years ago - sorry TMI) was the worst shot I have ever had. Does the heel shot hurt as much?"
He sort of smiled and left the room. He didn't answer me.
(I should have bolted out the door right then and there!)
He came back within a few seconds and had the shot in his hand.
He smiled again and said "o.k. this first poke will hurt a little."
A little??? A needle into the side of your heel/arch area??? Yeah, it HURT.
BUT THEN HE PUSHED THE STEROID IN.
It hit a nerve (the foot is full of nerves and there really is no way of avoiding it) and I jumped and about broke all of Caroline's fingers as I was squeezing her hand and maybe even let out a little yelp.
Yes, the heel shot is worse than the toe shot. Definitely worse!
I asked the doctor, "You knew it was worse that's why you didn't say anything, right?"
He just smiled again.
He said "it will hurt more tomorrow, but in about 4 days you will really like me again."
I hope he's right about the 4 days, because he is definitely right about the "tomorrow" part. :)
"The toe shot (which I had to have when I had an ingrown toe nail fixed years ago - sorry TMI) was the worst shot I have ever had. Does the heel shot hurt as much?"
He sort of smiled and left the room. He didn't answer me.
(I should have bolted out the door right then and there!)
He came back within a few seconds and had the shot in his hand.
He smiled again and said "o.k. this first poke will hurt a little."
A little??? A needle into the side of your heel/arch area??? Yeah, it HURT.
BUT THEN HE PUSHED THE STEROID IN.
It hit a nerve (the foot is full of nerves and there really is no way of avoiding it) and I jumped and about broke all of Caroline's fingers as I was squeezing her hand and maybe even let out a little yelp.
Yes, the heel shot is worse than the toe shot. Definitely worse!
I asked the doctor, "You knew it was worse that's why you didn't say anything, right?"
He just smiled again.
He said "it will hurt more tomorrow, but in about 4 days you will really like me again."
I hope he's right about the 4 days, because he is definitely right about the "tomorrow" part. :)

1 comment:
Dear Edee,
I am so sorry it hurts so much, but I can't help but laugh at the situation. You are so funny. You have a wonderful way of making light of serious things. I love you for that perspective. I know it will feel better soon.
Post a Comment