We tried to watch, but just couldn't do it. We support President Obama because he is our President, but, it has also become hard to listen to what he says so sometimes it's just better to not listen. You know?
So, on Monday, Kenneth turned the channel.
Like I said, he was trying to fold the socks but wasn't having much luck because most of them don't have matches.
Then he asked me this question:
"Edee, what is the science behind missing socks?"
I wasn't expecting that question, but I laughed and I said, "I have no idea!"
Here is a picture of all the single socks we have accumulated over the years. For some reason we just can't get ourselves to throw them away.
I suppose we are hoping the other one might somehow magically turn up because there are some good, comfortable socks in that pile.
Until we get the courage to actually throw them away, though, I suppose they will just continue to live in our "sock basket."
The single socks live at the bottom of the basket. The folded pairs live on the top. For some reason, despite Kenneth's repeated trying (and frustration, I might add), the socks never make it to their appropriate drawers. Everyone just rifles through the basket each morning for a pair.
Actually, I take that back, Caroline won't let ANYONE touch her laundry. I am pretty sure she has a real fear of losing socks, and she always insists on doing her own laundry. And, Kenneth always manages to get his folded socks in his drawer, but Marg and I could care less. We actually don't mind the sock basket. At least we always know where to find our socks!
About once a week, Kenneth actually dumps the whole basket on our bed. He folds the ones that actually have matches that have been thrown in there after they have been washed. You know, the ones that come out of the dryer "alone" even though you are pretty sure they went in there "together." And sometimes he gets lucky and finds a match or two. That makes him pretty happy, I must say.
Then the poor guy just kind-of stares at the rest of mismatched socks and shakes his head; wondering where the other socks have disappeared to. :)
A scientific mystery, to be sure.
1 comment:
Edee you are such a good writer! I love to read what you have to say. You make commonly boring things sound so exciting. This is good family history work! You have the spirit of Elijah! I love you.
Post a Comment