Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Mother Use to Say. . .

What her grandmother use to say. . .

"Every stitch you sew on Sunday, you'll have to pick out with your nose in Heaven." 

I REALLY hope that is not true. 

If it is, I am in BIG trouble. :)


That thought kept running through my head last Sunday morning as I was trying to hem Marg's skirt so she would have something to wear to church.





Plus, I am pretty sure I have sewn many a stitching project on Sunday, too.

Here is my latest. 



Scott wanted a Christmas stocking this year, and he wanted a stitched one if I was up to making him one.

Well, uh, he's on a mission. I would pretty much do anything he asked.

I have added the names of the cities he has served in so it looks different now, but if I ever get it to the point where I like how it looks, I will post the finished project.

It has his name, his missions name, the scripture he choose for his mission plaque, and the outline of the country of Colombia made to look like the Colombia flag (that was Kenneth's idea except filling it in with the flag stripes was my idea). The flag is filled in with a gazillion french knots. I am glad I don't mind making french knots. ha.





And as for the saying above, I keep telling myself that my Great Grandmother Shurtleff  use to say that because sewing was a chore. Something she had to do. It was work. Now sewing is mostly for enjoyment and relaxation, really, if you consider stitching projects.

How's that for rationalization, huh?

2 comments:

Kenr said...

You are right about stitching being a chore in the old days. I love how talented you are. Margaret's skirt is so cute. You have such wonderful ancestors!

The Roundy's said...

Don't worry mom we can pick out all the stitches with our noses together...I have sewn a lot on Sunday too :)