This is a photo of Kenneth and his siblings with his Mother and his Mother's parents. I believe it was taken in Chattanooga, TN at his Grandparent's home. It was a happy time and I am so glad someone thought to take a picture.
Kenneth is the little boy sitting on his oldest sister's lap on the right. His Mother, Dorothy, sits on the left with his youngest brother David on her lap.
Dorothy is surrounded by her eight children and her parents.
I love this photo.
I have never met Dorothy, but I feel like I know her and I love her. Everyone tells me that Kenneth is the Raines child that is most like his mother. I believe it. Today he looks very much like she looks in this picture taken almost 50 years ago.
Dorothy and her ninth child, Elizabeth (born premature at 7 months), died about a year and a half after this picture was taken. While pregnant, Dorothy collapsed, and the family learned she had breast cancer. The cancer had spread and there was nothing that could be done to save her life. The doctors tried to save the baby by delivering her before Dorothy died, but back then, they just didn't have the technology to save premature babies like we have today. Breast Cancer took Dorothy's life. I suppose it also took Elizabeth's life. Dorothy and Elizabeth were buried together as they should have been. It was a devastating time for the family, but somehow they made it through. Clyde kept the family together. He was a great example of how a father should be in times of tragedy. They were converts to the Church. The Gospel of Jesus Christ kept them all together.
Even though Dorothy is still very much missed, her legacy lives on. She is remembered and honored and loved. I am so grateful she decided to have so many children. Because of her, I am married to her son - her seventh of nine children. I am eternally grateful for her sacrifice.
I believe she is very close to her children and grandchildren and watches over them from the other side of the veil.
I love her smile in this picture. She radiates the light of Christ and I can feel it even from an old photograph.
I am grateful for the knowledge of eternal families.
So very, very grateful.
2 comments:
He DOES look like her! Such a great picture!
Edee, this is a beautiful post and historical capture of my mother's experience. It made me cry! You are so wonderful, and I appreciate your faith. Thank you for posting this picture and history. I love you!!
Post a Comment